[UPHPU] Simple yet effective CMS

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Tue Dec 21 10:40:38 MST 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 5:36 PM, Bryon wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple yet powerful CMS that I can run my personal
> site. I just want to have an image gallery, news, web links and the
> ability to have multiple rights and user log in.
>
> If you have suggestions on what you use. This is just for my own
> personal site and would like to have something simple, yet effective.
> I have used Mambo in the past and it has been good, I just thought I
> would look for a better one. If not, I will go back to Mambo.

I have been down the road you are now many times before.  I can't seem
to stick with one CMS.  I have tried many, and I can definitely say
Mambo is not simple.  :)  Here is a rundown of some of my favorites.

1. Textpattern (http://www.textpattern.com) supports multiple
users/rights, a limited image gallery, powerful and easy design
possibilities, easily extendible.
2. Nucleus CMS (http://www.nucleuscms.org) also supports multiple
users, allows media uploads to be linked to articles, very easy to
extend through plugins, fairly simple to design your templates.
3. b2evolution (http://www.b2evolution.net) very simple to grasp, and
design is good, but doesn't have many features.  I haven't looked at
extending it yet.
4. Drupal (http://www.drupal.org) has tons of features, and is a bit
overwhelming at first (almost as overwhelming as Mambo), has a nice
default template.

Personally, I hate that busy, in-your-face structure of Mambo, and
*nuke sites.  My search has been geared only toward the simple blog
based CMSes.  If you want to try out many of these without installing
them all yourself, OpenSourceCMS (http://www.opensourcecms.com) has a
whole lot of other CMSes like these available for you to try and
experiment with.

Good Luck
--lonnie