[UPHPU] DB experience

Ray Hunter bigdog at venticon.com
Fri Apr 30 13:55:47 MDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 11:56, Fred Larsen wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Mac Newbold wrote:
>
> > Yesterday at 1:38pm, Fred Larsen said:
> >
> > >We were at the same cross road a little while ago.  After weighing the
> > >pros and cons we decided to use PostgreSQL as our main database server.
> > >
> > >Things we needed:
> > > -stored procedures
> > > -transactions
> > > -sub queries
> > >
> > >Things we did not need:
> > > -to pay a lot of money
> > >
> > >With those requirements in mind the only logical choice between MySQL,
> > >PostgeSQL, and Oracle was PostgreSQL.  If money is not an obstacle and you
> > >have some experience with Oracle then that might be a better decision. We
> > >also still use MySQL for a lot of things.
> >
> > While it used to be the case that the stable/production version of MySQL
> > didn't have those features you list, their current production release does
> > have them.
> >

> The current production release of MySQL is 4.0.18.  InnoDB storage engine
> is standard.  So, you get transaction support.  As far as I can tell there
> is not support for:
>
> Stored procedures
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Stored_Procedures.html

> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_diff_Views.html
>
> Subqueries
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_diff_Subqueries.html
>

> I am not trying to put MySQL down at all.  I love MySQL and have been
> using it for years.  I just wanted to present the current features so that
> people considering using it know what it can do.

One thing i want to point out is that postgres does have all these
features and they have had them for a while...what does this mean? Over
that time period they have been refined and improved upon.

If you have need of a database that support complexity then postgresql
is the top open source database for that.

--
Ray