[UPHPU] DB experience

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Thu Apr 29 22:37:49 MDT 2004

Today at 11:56am, Fred Larsen said:

>> While it used to be the case that the stable/production version of MySQL
>> didn't have those features you list, their current production release does
>> have them.
>
>The current production release of MySQL is 4.0.18.  InnoDB storage engine
>is standard.  So, you get transaction support.  As far as I can tell there
>is not support for:

You're right... I posted a correction earlier today.

>Stored procedures
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Stored_Procedures.html

Not in 4.0, but they are in for 5.0

>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_diff_Views.html

They support unnamed views (aka derived tables, IIRC) in 4.1, but named
views will be in 5.0 or 5.1.

>Subqueries
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_diff_Subqueries.html

These are in 4.1, but not in 4.0.

>I am not trying to put MySQL down at all.  I love MySQL and have been
>using it for years.  I just wanted to present the current features so that
>people considering using it know what it can do.

Yes, that's a good point. If you absolutely can't (or don't want to) write
your app such that it doesn't require support for features that aren't in
your version, then PG is probably the best alternative.

That said, I've never had a situation where MySQL didn't do what I needed
to make my app work. And apparently, with such a wide user base, even for
versions of MySQL without those features, there must be a lot of other
people who haven't been bothered enough by it to switch to something else.

I'm probably going overboard already here... I like MySQL a lot. I've used
Oracle, but because of cost, was already biased against it, and I've never
had opportunity to use PostgreSQL, so I can't say anything about it's pros
or cons. Maybe I'm subconciously trying to convince myself that I don't
need to change from using exclusively MySQL...

Is there a Postgres fan/expert that would like to take a few minutes in
the May 18th MySQL meeting to give us a brief comparison between the two?

Mac