[UPHPU] DB experience

Fred Larsen fred at bitwyze.com
Thu Apr 29 11:56:44 MDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Mac Newbold wrote:

> Yesterday at 1:38pm, Fred Larsen said:
>
> >We were at the same cross road a little while ago.  After weighing the
> >pros and cons we decided to use PostgreSQL as our main database server.
> >
> >Things we needed:
> > -stored procedures
> > -transactions
> > -sub queries
> >
> >Things we did not need:
> > -to pay a lot of money
> >
> >With those requirements in mind the only logical choice between MySQL,
> >PostgeSQL, and Oracle was PostgreSQL.  If money is not an obstacle and you
> >have some experience with Oracle then that might be a better decision. We
> >also still use MySQL for a lot of things.
>
> While it used to be the case that the stable/production version of MySQL
> didn't have those features you list, their current production release does
> have them.

The current production release of MySQL is 4.0.18.  InnoDB storage engine
is standard.  So, you get transaction support.  As far as I can tell there
is not support for:

Stored procedures
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Stored_Procedures.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_diff_Views.html

Subqueries
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_diff_Subqueries.html

I am not trying to put MySQL down at all.  I love MySQL and have been
using it for years.  I just wanted to present the current features so that
people considering using it know what it can do.

Fred