[UPHPU] DB experience

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Thu Apr 29 10:46:01 MDT 2004

Today at 9:55am, Mac Newbold said:

>>Things we needed:
>> -stored procedures
>> -transactions
>> -sub queries

>While it used to be the case that the stable/production version of MySQL
>didn't have those features you list, their current production release does
>have them.

Someone contacted me privately and corrected me in this regard:

# MySQL Database Server
    * Production 4.0.18
    * Development 4.1.1
    * Preview 5.0.0

Transactions arrived in 3.23, and are present in 4.0 and above, for InnoDB
or BDB. Atomic operations also available with MyISAM. LOCK TABLES also
alleviates the need for transactions in some cases.

Subqueries are in 4.1, not 4.0.

Stored procedures aren't until 5.0, and triggers in 5.1.

Unnamed views are in 4.1, and named views will be in 5.0 or 5.1.

But again, my point was that MySQL has these things in one release or
another. For some of the things you "need", there are ways to accomplish
your goals without it, even though it may be different or sometimes not as
simple.

If your application was already written, and made heavy use of those
features, then I guess I have to concede that PG was the better choice,
and some of the mysql support may not have been there at the time.

Mac