[UPHPU] DB experience

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Thu Apr 29 09:55:00 MDT 2004

Yesterday at 1:38pm, Fred Larsen said:

>We were at the same cross road a little while ago.  After weighing the
>pros and cons we decided to use PostgreSQL as our main database server.
>
>Things we needed:
> -stored procedures
> -transactions
> -sub queries
>
>Things we did not need:
> -to pay a lot of money
>
>With those requirements in mind the only logical choice between MySQL,
>PostgeSQL, and Oracle was PostgreSQL.  If money is not an obstacle and you
>have some experience with Oracle then that might be a better decision. We
>also still use MySQL for a lot of things.

While it used to be the case that the stable/production version of MySQL
didn't have those features you list, their current production release does
have them.

I'll echo the sentiments about Oracle... if you have money to blow, it's a
quality product. I don't think I'd ever call it a good value though, when
there are good free competitors out there, both free as in $ and free as
in open-source.

Mac