[UPHPU] MySQL questions?

John johnh at strictlyrockymountain.com
Thu Apr 22 23:30:46 MDT 2004

For PHP cache'ing you could use Zend's (pay for) technology or you could
use what I use, ionCube PHP Accelerator.  And it's free and easy to setup.
 Much easier that Zends (at least a year ago's version).  Basically it
takes your PHP page and compiles the code (sort of) and keeps that binary
version in /tmp, then when the next person comes along, it grabs the /tmp/
binary one and doesn't have to recomple each time.  It also keeps track if
the file has a newer date stamp than the binary and thus recache'es it.

--
Thanks
John

>> > Can you clarify that for me? Do you mean inside MySQL, or in your
>> PHP code?
>>
>> In PHP.  Or MySQL.  I dunno, actually.  All I know is that PEAR's
>> Cache  and Cache_Lite are completely undocumented (save the actual php
>> file  itself, which I don't really wanna dig through to try and
>> understand  it), and O'Reilly's tutorial that you find when you google
>> for 'php  cache mysql' makes their own caching functions which doesn't
>> make sense  to me...  Anyway, a starting point would be nice.
>
> Database and applications caching would be a killer discussion. I have
> not really looking into the caching of php but i do tons with java. I am
> very curious about this topic. I would like to even possibly see code
> caching as well. Is there an apache module for caching?

>> > Are you talking from a database client perspective, or how does it
>> work inside the database engine?
>>
>> Uh, the commands to run them I guess.
>>
>> All I know about is:
>>
>> START TRANSACTION;
>> INSERT INTO TABLE (BLAH) VALUES ('YO');
>> { REPEATED 10,001 TIMES }
>> COMMIT;
>>
>> which runs *amazingly* fast... I've heard of doing rollbacks on
>> commits,  but maybe that's just a postgres thingie.  I don't have a
>> clue how to do  that either.
>
> You have to make sure that the version of mysql that you are using
> supports transactions. Transaction came in during the 4.0 branch.
>
> One can discuss 2 types of transactions: database and application which
> might be some good discussion.
>
> /Ray

Thanks
John