[UPHPU] MySQL questions?

Fred Larsen fred at bitwyze.com
Fri Apr 23 00:19:19 MDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, District Webmaster wrote:

> I think many if not all of our developers would benefit from
> understanding sysadmin principles.
>
> I've wondered how best to handle the various levels of knowledge and
> experience among our developers. We don't exactly have a group charter
> or mission statement, but I think it's safe to say most of us would like
> to increase our marketability to employers, thereby increasing our
> income potential. But how do we raise the novice, journeyman and expert
> simultaneously? Do we take turns? Multiple meetings?

I think that they way that we raise everyone involved is by sharing.  For
example, I can tell you that MySQL rocks.  I can also tell you that I have
been working with it for many years.  I can even tell you that the INNODB
transactions are great.

But when you are presenting a topic you have to organize your thoughts and
experiences in a way that you probably never had to before.  At least for
me, when ever I am required to communicate what I have learned it
solidifies it even better in my mind.

So if you feel like you are a head of the group on some topic, prepare a
presentation.  You will only help yourself by helping others.

Man, this is starting to sound like a public service announcement.

"This message brought to your by your local boys and girls php user
group."

Fred