[UPHPU] MySQL questions?

District Webmaster webmaster at alpine.k12.ut.us
Thu Apr 22 14:48:35 MDT 2004

I don't know -- my impression is that we have all levels of php
experience among list members, and even meeting attendees. It's
difficult to know at what level to present, because inevitably you'll
exclude some group or be redundant for another group. I suppose that's
why many presenters ask the list what we want taught to us.

Having said that, I second your topic suggestions. :)

Dave

>>> Jonathan Gale <jgale at j2.net> 04/22/04 2:27 PM >>>
It is probably safe to assume that most PHPers are already somewhat
familiar with MySQL.  Maybe we should skip the most basic aspects of the

DB and get right into the meaty stuff.  My main interests would be:

Database optimizations - both server and query related
Clustering / High Availability
Advanced SQL - specifically JOINS
Scalability

My $0.02 - no change necessary.

Jon

Mac Newbold wrote:

> Wade has asked me to put together something on MySQL for our May 18th
> meeting. (7pm @ Alpine S.D., if that's okay. Dave?)
>
> What would people like me to discuss about MySQL?
>
> Some possibilities:
>
> 1. How to install/run/admin a mysql server
> 2. MySQL langauge bindings (PHP obviously, maybe others: Perl, C,
etc.)
> 3. MySQL data types / table types
> 4. Database schema design
> 5. Basic-to-Intermediate SQL
> 6. Advanced SQL: Doing JOINs (simple and complex)
> 7. Optimizing queries for speed/efficiency
> 8. Importing/exporting data (i.e. CSV, Excel, etc.)
>
> With some help from experts in the group, we could discuss:
>
> 9. MySQL compared to other databases, in terms of performance,
standards
>    compliance, features, etc. (anyone who could help should speak up)
>
> Which of the above (if any) are people interested in hearing about?
What